Role of Cold LASER Therapy for Pain Management for Disc Herniations and Chronic Back Pain
Cold laser therapy is our newest addition to the variety of treatment approaches we are using at Natural Pain Solutions to provide pain relief and symptom reduction for our patients with a wide variety of conditions. It is especially useful for patients seeking a treatment without the use of surgery or drugs. LASER is considered a reasonable treatment option for low back pain by most health care professionals and has been embraced by chiropractors for years.
Cold laser therapy is yet another method in the set of tools to help assist in non surgical decompression for patients wishing to avoid a permanent change to the structure of their spine. Stimulation of the healing processes is accompanied by relief of symptoms and positive real changes to the patient’s disc and surrounding tissues.
Patients keep asking me: “How does cold LASER work?”
Simply put, cold laser therapy is designed to stimulate cells, speed up healing and reduce inflammation. By using specific wavelengths of light, we can penetrate deeply into a patients spine. LASER therapy can provide lasting pain relief by targeting not only the blood, but the tissues surrounding the disc for faster repair. Cold LASER accelerates collagen production, the main materials of all parts of the disc. Use of LASER increases stem cells and cells which help repair damaged muscle tissue as well as nerve cells to help nerve regeneration (in cases of compressed nerves). Inflammation and swelling are also decreased by the laser. Low level laser therapy has an additive effect, building upon each non surgical decompression treatment to achieve lasting results that fix the root problem, not just the symptoms.
Long Term or Cumulative Effect
- Mitochondrial activity is stimulated resulting in cell replication etc.
- ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production is increased resulting in improved cellular metabolism
- Neurotransmission is facilitated due to elevated levels of serotonin and aceytylecholine
- Modulation of macrophages, fibroblasts and other cells
- Angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels)
- DNA (desoxyribosenucleicacid) production, the protein building block of tissue is substantially increased
- Regulates cell membrane potential, essential in NA, Cl and K ion transfer (electrolyte balance)
- Cytokines and other chemicals enhancing cellular communications are released
- The immune response is stimulated
- Lymphatic drainage is improved
- The histamine response is positively altered
- Production of growth hormone is increased
What Other Conditions can Our LASER Treat?
- Acute and chronic pain
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Sports Injuries
- Ligament sprains
- Muscle strain
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck pain
- Tennis elbow
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Call the clinic to find out how Cold LASER can benefit you and those you love. (503)684-9698